Skip to content

Three men in jail after shooting on North Third Street

By: Alisha Thompson
Davis Police and a member of the Chickasaw Nation Lighthorse SWAT team had just sat down in a patrol car when a “shots fired” call at the apartments on North Third Street came in through Murray County dispatch on Feb. 15.
What no one knew is that those officers were in their patrol unit leaving to serve a high risk warrant at the same location when they received the emergency call.
Within 4 minutes of their arrival, two of the three suspects in the shooting were in custody and the man who was shot was receiving medical attention.
Detective Seth Kemper with the Davis Police Department said that the majority of the felony arrests he’s been present for in the last three months have been at the apartments on North Third Street.
Altercation on Feb. 10
Detective Kemper said that Cymetrick Williams, 20, had allegedly pointed his gun at people in the apartments on Feb. 10 threatening to shoot them. The argument stemmed from Williams being upset about a drive by shooting he was rumored to be connected to. The shooting did not occur in Davis, but it was on the radar of other law enforcement agencies.
The witnesses descriptions of the handgun that Williams had pointed at them matched the description of the gun Williams allegedly used to shoot in the drive by shooting. Williams told Detective Kemper he didn’t have the gun in question on Feb. 10.
Shots fired on Feb. 15
Another argument, this time producing gunfire, erupted on Feb. 15 at the apartments on North Third Street around 1 p.m. Detective Kemper said that when he arrived he saw the man that had been shot in his upper right thigh. Murray County Sheriff’s Deputy Brandon Eddy and Deputy Mike Woods apprehended Williams and Matthew Gain, 18, after attempting to flee the scene. Daxton Davis, 18, was hiding in the apartment when the other suspects were apprehended and, after a brief period of time, was taken into custody without incident.
Detective Kemper said that eye witnesses said that Williams and Davis started firing handguns from their apartment at the victim. The victim had a gun and returned fire.
Once the shooting was over, Williams and stopped at Gain’s apartment. They left the scene together and tried to hide the gun Williams had used. The handgun was recovered by Deputy Eddy after a brief search.
An arrest warrant and search warrant issued for the Feb. 10 incident involving Williams was executed by police after securing the scene.
The gun listed in the search warrant (that had recently been fired) was secured by officers. Williams was arrested for feloniously pointing a firearm for the Feb. 10 incident.
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation took over the crime scene investigation and the guns and shell casings that were taken as evidence.
Inca Head Start initiated lock down procedures when the shooting occurred according to Davis Police Chief Dan Cooper. Head Start allowed parents to pick up their children around 3:30 p.m. when officers cleared the scene.
Davis Public Schools did not go on lock down but monitored the situation closely.
The victim of the shooting was transported to a hospital in Oklahoma City. He had surgery and is said to be doing well.
Williams, Daxton Davis and Matthew Gain faced a judge in the Murray County Courthouse on Feb. 17.
Williams was charged with shooting with intent to kill. Davis was charged with shooting with intent to kill. Gain, 18, has been charged with accessory after the fact with shooting with intent to kill.
Departments assisting the Davis Police Department on Feb. 15 were: Chickasaw Nation Lighthorse Police Department, National Park Service, Murray County Sheriff’s Office, Sulphur Police Department, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, OSBI, Murray County EMS and the Davis Fire Department.

Leave a Comment